⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] featureType attribute (was CF-1.6 DSG clarification: time series & lat/lon coordinates)

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 09:31:41 -0500

Sorry to drag this out again, but I need to restate my question; it's
more or
less the opposite of the question that was answered.

Does the presence of a featureType attribute indicate that a file uses
the DSG
"machinery" and should therefore follow the guidelines of limited axes that
are spelled out in chapter 9?

Can I use this attribute and NOT have an instance (or station) dimension,
but stick with my current encoding:
float seatemp(time, depth, lat, lon)
rather than changing to:
float seatemp(station, time)

We need an attribute in oceansites files that indicates the type of
feature in the file -
multiple-depth moored instruments, single-depth moored instruments,
profiles ...
We'd like to use this attribute to fill that role, but if it is
overloaded in the sense that
it indicates something else about the file, we'll need to use another term.

Thanks -
Nan