⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standardizing how ensemble (realization) axes are encoded

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 11:31:19 +0000

Dear Steve

My argument is this: the standard name is the name of a quantity contained
in the variable. Time and longitude are quantities. An ensemble is not a
quantity, however. In fact, an ensemble_member is not a quantity either,
perhaps, but it would be understood to mean ensemble_member "identifier" in
some undefined sense, so it's more like a usual standard name.

However I agree that, in cell_methods, for an omitted ensemble axis, it would
be more natural to read "ensemble: mean" than "ensemble_member: mean". We
could specifically allow "ensemble" as a keyword with this sense (i.e. to
indicate a statistic calculated over the members of an ensemble, when there
is no dimension or coordinate for the ensemble), like we
allow "area" as a special keyword in cell_methods to stand for the combination
of horizontal axes (whatever they are). To do that would require a change to
the convention, because it's not just a standard_name.

As I said, permitting axis='E' would also be a convention change.

If anyone would like to propose these additions in a trac ticket, I'd
support it.