⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] UV-index in CF compliant files

From: Øystein Godøy <o.godoy>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 22:27:45 +0100

Hi,

Many thanks for the prompt replies. I comment in text below.

> > Since the UV index is a standard quantity, it seems fine to me to give it
> > a standard name of uv_index, or ultraviolet_index - which would be better?
> > I don't think "surface" is needed unless it is sometimes reported at other
> > levels - is it?

As far as I know this is only reported at the surface. At least that is the
original intention of it following WMO and WHO. In WMO context I have so far
not seen anyone reporting this elsewhere than at the surface.

Concerning whether to use uv_index or ultraviolet_index, both are fine to me.
In my community is usually denoted UV index, but I do see the point made by
Seth to avoid potential confusion between various communities. Thus, although
I use the short form below, I would be happy with ultraviolet_index.

> > I would assume that without qualification it would refer to the actual or
> > forecast cloud cover. If you would like to provide it as dependent on
> > cloud cover, this could be done by giving it a coordinate variable or
> > scalar coordinate variable with a standard_name of cloud_area_fraction. If
> > you prefer to indicate the cloudiness in the standard name, I think this
> > could be done for clear-sky on the pattern of existing standard names as
> > uv_index_assuming_clear_sky

This sounds good to me. For complete cloud cover I would suggest to use
uv_index_assuming_overcast to comply with WMO terminology.

> > There aren't any existing standard names for complete or partial cloud
> > cover. Complete cloud cover is well-defined and an "assuming" phrase
> > could be agreed for that, I imagine. Does partial cloud cover have a
> > precise definition?

No, there is no good definition of this. It is usually used for any fractional
cloud cover (1/8-7/8 in WMO terminology). In this context it refers to 4/8
(50%) cloud cover. Broken and scattered cloud cover is used in METAR reports
and are better defined, but are not useful in this context as they are in a
regime that divides the cloud cover in 5 classes - clear, scattered, broken,
overcast and obscured.

How about using something like uv_index_assuming_half_fractional_cloud_cover.
If allowed in standard names, one could use either 50% or 4/8 instead of half.

Essentially, I would then suggest the following names:
ultraviolet_index
ultraviolet_index_assuming_clear_sky
ultraviolet_index_assuming_overcast
ultraviolet_index_assuming_half_cloud_cover

All the best
?ystein
--
Dr. Oystein Godoy