⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] UV-index in CF compliant files

From: Øystein Godøy <o.godoy>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 09:26:45 +0100

Dear community,

I am in the process of moving towards usage of NetCDF/CF for our Ultraviolet
index forecast. In this context I am wondering which standard name to use for
this variable. Some information on UV-index can be found at
http://www.who.int/uv/intersunprogramme/activities/uv_index/en/index1.html

As forecasted cloud cover may be uncertain we always provide the UV-index for
clear sky conditions, partly cloudy, overcast and then with the forecasted
cloud cover. I would like to retain this in the NetCDF/CF files as well,
leaving the choice of which to use to the end user or the application.

I was not able to find any relevant standard name in the table, and in the
NCEP GRIB code to CF standard name mapping, the CF standard name was
missing.

What would be the appropriate new standard name to use for this purpose?
uvindex or surface_uvindex with the potential of adding a modifier identifying
the cloud cover and unit 1?

All the best
?ystein
--