⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] swath format -- not just for satellite, but for sonar?

From: Mike Grant <mggr>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 09:38:38 +0000

On 11/11/13 18:47, John Graybeal wrote:
> I'm looking for the latest status of presenting swath data in CF. I

I think most user-level satellite swath data follows the principle of
providing full (or at least tie-point) lat/long grids, e.g.
 http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.6/ch05s02.html

It's possible they might then use cell methods to more accurately
represent the placement and shape of pixels on the ground (or whatever)
vs assuming everything is square or pointlike, but I've not really seen
this in practice.

In terms of the actual data represented, there isn't much consensus on
the specifics, but perhaps a few generalities are useful. Single
variables per sensed quantity/wavelength seem to be slightly winning
again 3+D arrays for wavelengths of the same quantity, since they're
more easily supported by existing applications. There's a legacy
tendency to try and pack data, but (I think) this is slowly losing out
to the nearly-equivalent transparent netcdf4 compression and the
consequent much easier data access.

I can't comment on sonar but, if it has multiple depth returns, it might
be worth looking at LIDAR representations for what's done (often ends up
in LAS files rather than netCDF though).

As you say though, there's a lot of variety out there. Hopefully I'll
have provoked others to comment too!

Cheers,

Mike.

Latest news: www.pml.ac.uk and _at_PlymouthMarine

Plymouth Marine Laboratory (PML) is a company limited by guarantee registered in England & Wales, company number 4178503. Registered Charity No. 1091222. Registered Office: Prospect Place, The Hoe, Plymouth PL1 3DH, UK.

This message is private and confidential. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and remove it from your system. You are reminded that e-mail communications are not secure and may contain viruses; PML accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by viruses.