⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] swath format -- not just for satellite, but for sonar?

From: John Graybeal <john.graybeal>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 10:47:36 -0800

Hi all,

I'm looking for the latest status of presenting swath data in CF. I gather the cf-satellite list is where all the fun happens for satellite-type swath data, and it looks like these products are too diverse for many conclusions... And the NODC formats page [1] says "NODC is awaiting results of recent CF-satellite discussions before constructing a swath template and supporting examples."

Another type of swath is of ocean sonar data. (And I know there are analogs from aircraft.) I have not seen any information on these, but there are any proposals, templates, or agreed practices for representing, for example, along-track sonar scans? There is also a possible connection here to 'standard sonar formats' like SEG-Y.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to push for anything, just wondering where to start learning.

John

[1] http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/data/formats/netcdf/

John Graybeal
Sr. Data Manager, Metadata & Semantics