⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard names for Arctic Sea Ice characterization product

From: Thomas Estilow <esti>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 14:25:55 -0500

Hello,

Our team is working on gridded products (EASE-Grid 2.0) that show several variables related to sea ice, derived from multiple sources. CF compliance is one of our project goals.

It doesn't seem there are existing standard names that would be appropriate for our variables. Here's an excerpt of the data flags in each pixel.

Layer 1: Sea Ice
3000 - sea ice (pixels where sea ice concentration meets a 15% threshold are considered sea ice covered)
4000 - open water

Layer 2: Snow Melt Onset (melt onset condition at each sea ice covered pixel at start of melt season)
3000: no melt onset
3010: current melt onset
3011: future melt onset
3061-3245: day of year on which melt began

Would a standard name similar to sea_ice_binary_mask be appropriate, used in conjunction with the existing name sea_ice_area_fraction?

My colleague also suggested daily_surface_snow_melt_onset, any thoughts?

Thanks.
Tom

---
Thomas Estilow