⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names for CIN, LFC,LCL; update to CAPE

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 11:52:31 +0000

Dear Seth, All,

I have reviewed these proposals along with Jonathan W's stability index names. The CIN, LFC and LCL proposals are in good shape and can be accepted.

The following standard names will be added at the next update.

1) atmosphere_convective_inhibition (J kg-1)

' Convective inhibition is the amount of energy per unit mass required to overcome the negatively buoyant energy exerted by the environment on a parcel of air. Convective inhibition is often abbreviated as "CIN" or "CINH". It is calculated by integrating the negative temperature difference between the surrounding atmosphere and a parcel of air lifted adiabatically from a given starting height to its equilibrium level. A coordinate variable of original_air_pressure_of_lifted_parcel should be specified to indicate the starting height of the lifted parcel.'

2) atmosphere_convective_inhibition_wrt_surface (J kg-1)

'Convective inhibition is the amount of energy per unit mass required to overcome the negatively buoyant energy exerted by the environment on a parcel of air. Convective inhibition is often abbreviated as "CIN" or "CINH". It is calculated by integrating the negative temperature difference between the surrounding atmosphere and a parcel of air lifted adiabatically from the surface to its equilibrium level.'

3) atmosphere_lifting_condensation_level (m)

'The lifting condensation level is the height at which the relative humidity of an air parcel cooled by dry adiabatic lifting would reach 100%. A coordinate variable of original_air_pressure_of_lifted_parcel should be specified to indicate the starting height of the lifted parcel.'

4) atmosphere_lifting_condensation_level_wrt_surface (m)

'The lifting condensation level is the height at which the relative humidity of an air parcel cooled by dry adiabatic lifting from the surface would reach 100%.'

5) atmosphere_level_of_free_convection (m)

'The level of free convection is the altitude where the temperature of the environment decreases faster than the moist adiabatic lapse rate of a saturated air parcel at the same level. It is calculated by lifting a parcel of air dry adiabatically to the LCL (lifted condensation level), then moist adiabatically until the parcel temperature is equal to the ambient temperature. A coordinate variable of original_air_pressure_of_lifted_parcel should be specified to indicate the starting height of the lifted parcel.'

6) atmosphere_level_of_free_convection_wrt_surface (m)

'The level of free convection is the altitude where the temperature of the environment decreases faster than the moist adiabatic lapse rate of a saturated air parcel at the same level. It is calculated by lifting a parcel of air dry adiabatically from the surface to the LCL (lifting condensation level), then moist adiabatically until the parcel temperature is equal to the ambient temperature.'

The two proposed CAPE parameters are agreed in principle:

7) atmosphere_convective_available_potential_energy (J kg-1)

'Convective(ly) available potential energy (often abbreviated CAPE) is a stability measure calculated by integrating the positive temperature difference between the surrounding atmosphere and a parcel of air lifted adiabatically from a given starting height to its equilibrium level. A coordinate variable of original_air_pressure_of_lifted_parcel should be specified to indicate the starting height of the lifted parcel. CAPE exists under conditions of potential instability, and measures the potential energy per unit mass that would be released by the unstable parcel if it were able to convect upwards to equilibrium.'

8) atmosphere_convective_available_potential_energy_wrt_surface (J kg-1)

'Convective(ly) available potential energy (often abbreviated CAPE) is a stability measure calculated by integrating the positive temperature difference between the surrounding atmosphere and a parcel of air lifted adiabatically from the surface to its equilibrium level. CAPE exists under conditions of potential instability, and measures the potential energy per unit mass that would be released by the unstable parcel if it were able to convect upwards to equilibrium.'

There is still a question mark as to whether the existing name atmosphere_specific_convective_available_potential_energy should be made an alias of proposal (7) or (8). Once we can resolve that question the names can be added. Please see http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2013/056725.html and http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2013/056730.html for the most recent comments on this topic.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065