⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names for CIN, LFC,LCL; update to CAPE

From: Seth McGinnis <mcginnis>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 16:48:49 -0600

Hi Jonathan,

Frankly, no, I'm not certain. My thinking is that if anyone is using the
existing standard_name, their data is somewhat underspecified, and
since it could in principle be one of many types of CAPE, it would be
preferable to point to the more generic name.

If anybody on the mailing list has an opinion about whether generic
"CAPE" would make you think surface-based or something else, please
speak up!

(Because to be honest, I'm not much of an expert either; I just have
some data that I need to make CF-compliant, and have been learning
this topic as I go.)

On the plus side, I suspect the question of where the alias points may
well be entirely moot; the only CAPE data I've been able to find in
netcdf form "in the wild" is CF-1.0 and has an empty standard_name.

Cheers,

--Seth