⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard names for sea level change

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 09:36:20 +0000

Dear Olivier, All,

The following names were discussed and agreed in 2012, but I missed adding them to the standard name table. Thanks to Olivier for drawing this to my attention. They will be added at the next update. My apologies for the omission.

> In that case the following entries should be required:
>
> tendency_of_global_average_sea_level_change (m/year)
> Global average sea level change is due to change in volume of the water in the ocean, caused by mass and/or density change, or to change in the
> volume of the ocean basins, caused by tectonics etc. It is sometimes called "eustatic", which is a term that also has other definitions. It differs from
> the change in the global average sea surface height relative to the centre of the Earth by the global average vertical movement of the ocean floor.
> Zero sea level change is an arbitrary level. "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time.
>
> tendency_of_sea_surface_height_above_sea_level (m/year)
> Sea_level means mean sea level, which is close to the geoid in sea areas. "Sea surface height" is a time-varying quantity. "tendency_of_X" means
> derivative of X with respect to time.
>
> amplitude_of_global_average_sea_level_change (m)
> Global average sea level change is due to change in volume of the water in the ocean, caused by mass and/or density change, or to change in the
> volume of the ocean basins, caused by tectonics etc. It is sometimes called "eustatic", which is a term that also has other definitions. It differs from
> the change in the global average sea surface height relative to the centre of the Earth by the global average vertical movement of the ocean floor.
> Zero sea level change is an arbitrary level. Amplitude is the magnitude of a wave modeled by a sinusoidal function. A coordinate variable of
> harmonic_period can be used to specify the period of the sinusoidal wave.
>
> phase_of_global_average_sea_level_change (degree)
> Global average sea level change is due to change in volume of the water in the ocean, caused by mass and/or density change, or to change in the
> volume of the ocean basins, caused by tectonics etc. It is sometimes called "eustatic", which is a term that also has other definitions. It differs from
> the change in the global average sea surface height relative to the centre of the Earth by the global average vertical movement of the ocean floor.
> Zero sea level change is an arbitrary level. Phase is the initial angle of a wave modeled by a sinusoidal function. A coordinate variable of
> harmonic_period can be used to specify the period of the sinusoidal wave.
>
> ..Plus one new standard name for coordinate variable:
> harmonic_period
> A period is an interval of time, or the time-period of an oscillation.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
R25, 2.22
Harwell Oxford, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.
In that case the following entries should be required:
?
tendency_of_global_average_sea_level_change (m/year)
Global average sea level change is due to change in volume of the water in the ocean, caused by mass and/or density change, or to change in the volume of the ocean basins, caused by tectonics etc. It is sometimes called "eustatic", which is a term that also has other definitions. It differs from the change in the global average sea surface height relative to the centre of the Earth by the global average vertical movement of the ocean floor. Zero sea level change is an arbitrary level. "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time.
?
tendency_of_sea_surface_height_above_sea_level (m/year)
"Sea_level means mean sea level, which is close to the geoid in sea areas. "Sea surface height" is a time-varying quantity. "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time."
?
?
amplitude_of_global_average_sea_level_change (m)
"Global average sea level change is due to change in volume of the water in the ocean, caused by mass and/or density change, or to change in the volume of the ocean basins, caused by tectonics etc. It is sometimes called "eustatic", which is a term that also has other definitions. It differs from the change in the global average sea surface height relative to the centre of the Earth by the global average vertical movement of the ocean floor. Zero sea level change is an arbitrary level. ?Amplitude is the magnitude of a wave modeled by a sinusoidal function."
?
?
phase_of_global_average_sea_level_change (degree)
"Global average sea level change is due to change in volume of the water in the ocean, caused by mass and/or density change, or to change in the volume of the ocean basins, caused by tectonics etc. It is sometimes called "eustatic", which is a term that also has other definitions. It differs from the change in the global average sea surface height relative to the centre of the Earth by the global average vertical movement of the ocean floor. Zero sea level change is an arbitrary level. Phase is the initial angle of a wave modeled by a sinusoidal function."
?
..Plus one new standard name for coordinate variable:
?harmonic_period
"A period is an interval of time, or the time-period of an oscillation."
?
?
Thanks for all,
?