⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] data modelling

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 17:37:19 +0000

Hello CF

It looks like the uncertainty surrounding scalar coordinate variables is reaching a conclusion which is likely to make it into CF1.7
https://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/104
The broad brush conclusions are forming and I suspect that the remaining conversation will focus on editorial detail.
This uncertainty lead to a significant hiatus in the work to codify the CF data model.

I feel that we can now re-energise the data modelling activity and target CF1.7, in parallel with the work underway to update the conventions document with the staged changes.

I have raised a new ticket
https://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/106
which will manage discussions about all aspects of the model development for version 1.7.

I have created a wiki page:
https://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/wiki/DataModelDraft
which currently contains placeholder headings and a sketch, all of which I expect to change significantly through the life of the discussion. Its aim is to provide a live reference of the latest discussion status.

I encourage all interested parties to consider contributing to the development of the data model. I feel that this is a particularly valuable initiative which will require hard work, but deliver a significant benefit to the community.

many thanks
mark