⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Surface temperatures

From: John Graybeal <john.graybeal>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 18:03:32 -0700

Philip, to be clear, are you saying one should, or should not, compare values from a model to observational values? We don't distinguish between them in CF names that I know of, so I'm assuming it's OK.... (And to Jonathon Wrotny's point: Considering a fundamental concept like "temperature of an observable feature" somehow different just by virtue of being in a model, is just way too big a Pandora's box to open up. In my humble opinion.)

For me, 'equivalent names' means equivalent _names_. If land_surface_skin temperature is equivalent to surface_temperature:cell_methods="area: mean where land", then sea_surface_skin_temperature must be equivalent to surface_temperature:cell_methods="area: mean where sea". And I bet I could find quite a few other 'equivalences' by using a cell method like "area: mean where land/sea".

Not only are such equivalences quite uncommon so far, to me it is not all that equivalent. (Perhaps that is my ocean background, where 'surface' is still a bit indeterminate -- rightly or wrongly!)

John

P.S. IIRC, sea_surface_temperature used to be the only sea surface temperature; other definitions were added because our view of the top of the ocean -- through satellites or models or thermometers -- was much more refined. So we needed more refined terms to make things comparable again.

On Oct 4, 2013, at 17:28, "Cameron-smith, Philip" <cameronsmith1 at llnl.gov> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan (Wrotny),
>
> The general practice of CF is that quantities that are 'equivalent', ie close enough that it is meaningful to take the difference between them, should have the same std_name (ie, they are both trying to calculate or measure the same physical quantity).
>
> IMHO, this provides huge value to users, since it tells them when they can, or shouldn't, compare two quantities (eg, compare the surface temperatures from a model dataset with satellite observations of surface temperatures). If 'equivalence' is treated too strictly, then no variable can ever be compared to another.
>
> Unfortunately, there is a grey zone between quantities are equivalent and quantities that are not, and then long discussions usually occur.
>
> From the description of the quantity you describe, it seems to me that land_surface_skin_temperature and surface_temperature:cell_methods="area: mean where land", should be deemed to be 'equivalent'.
>
> If you agree, then one advantage for you is that you don't have to do any more work on this email list ;-).
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Philip

> Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.

John Graybeal
Senior Data Manager, Metadata and Semantics

T +1 (408) 675-5545
F +1 (408) 616-1626
skype: graybealski

Marinexplore