⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Surface temperatures

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 00:28:12 +0000

Hi Jonathan (Wrotny),

The general practice of CF is that quantities that are 'equivalent', ie close enough that it is meaningful to take the difference between them, should have the same std_name (ie, they are both trying to calculate or measure the same physical quantity).

IMHO, this provides huge value to users, since it tells them when they can, or shouldn't, compare two quantities (eg, compare the surface temperatures from a model dataset with satellite observations of surface temperatures). If 'equivalence' is treated too strictly, then no variable can ever be compared to another.

Unfortunately, there is a grey zone between quantities are equivalent and quantities that are not, and then long discussions usually occur.

>From the description of the quantity you describe, it seems to me that land_surface_skin_temperature and surface_temperature:cell_methods="area: mean where land", should be deemed to be 'equivalent'.

If you agree, then one advantage for you is that you don't have to do any more work on this email list ;-).

Best wishes,

       Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.