⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Surface temperatures

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 17:30:08 +0000

Hi Jonathan (Wrotny), Jonathan (Gregory), et al.,

I am a little surprised.

It is explicitly stated in the proposed description that land_surface_skin_temperature "can be taken to be equivalent to" surface_temperature over land areas.

In the description for surface_temperature, it indicates that it can apply to just land using cell_methods. Indeed, in the CF convention, example 7.6 explicitly states this:

Example 7.6. Mean surface temperature over land and sensible heat flux averaged separately over land and sea.
    float surface_temperature(lat,lon);
    surface_temperature:cell_methods="area: mean where land";

I also note that surface_temperature is already an alias for surface_temperature_where_land (which I think is deprecated)

Why is a new std_name needed? What am I missing?

It is true that there is a variable called sea_surface_skin_temperature, but it appears that this was introduced for different reasons. Specifically, it looks like sea_surface_temperature was created to refer to the water _near_ the surface to distinguish it from the 'skin'. sea_surface_skin_temperature then differs from surface_temperature because it refers to the interface under sea-ice rather than above sea-ice.

Best wishes, as always :-),

    Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.