⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Towards recognizing and exploiting hierarchical groups

From: Charlie Zender <zender>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 14:11:02 -0700

Hi Martin,

Let me enumerate a third disaggregation method to your list:

> There should probably be two ways for converting group files to flat
> files:
> a) flatten everything into one file with "." separated name spaces
> b) flatten groups into individual files (tools like NCO could then
> use the name space as part of the file names to be generated)

The c) I would add is flattening groups into a single file and
discarding group names completely. When variable name conflicts arise,
then fail. This is useful for flattening hierarcichal files that
contain groups of data with no namespace conflicts.

NCO's ncks does b) and c) now. I do not know yet of any tool that
does method a), although ncl_convert2nc may do something like this
when it flattens HDF files into netCDF files.

Regards,
cz

Le 17/09/2013 10:12, Schultz, Martin a ?crit :

--
Charlie Zender, Earth System Sci. & Computer Sci.
University of California, Irvine 949-891-2429 )'(