⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard name for fog as area fraction

From: Heiko Klein <Heiko.Klein>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 09:22:22 +0200

Hello David,

I think we agree on the important parts about fog:

   * visibility in air < 1000m
   * caused by water (i.e. not by dust, which would be haze)
   * near-surface (~ human eyes height)

Coming to the exact wording is more difficult. The term 'cloud' might
include dust (Saharan dust clouds) and exclude radiation fog, so I
wouldn't like to use it. 'humidity' is invisible as you note, so I will
drop that. water droplets might exclude ice-fog. What about:

fog means visibility in air < 1000m due to water
droplets or minute ice crystals close to the surface.
"X_area_fraction" means the fraction of horizontal area occupied by X.

Best regards,

Heik