⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard name for fog as area fraction

From: David Hassell <d.c.hassell>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 18:05:08 +0100

Hello Heiko,

> > fog_area_fraction:
> >
> > fog means visibility in air < 1000m due to humidity or water
> > droplets. "X_area_fraction" means the fraction of horizontal area
> > occupied by X.

I think that it's fine, but could you confirm the "humidity" part of
your definition? It sounds a little odd to me since water vapour is
invisible, although I appreciate that the relative humidity is often
very high when fog forms. How about:

"Fog means near-surface cloud which reduces the visibility in air to <
 1000m. "X_area_fraction" means the fraction of horizontal area
 occupied by X."

where "near-surface cloud" is meant to indicate, in some way, that the
cloud is, er, near the surface (or in the boundary layer; or ...). But
I'm not sure about that bit of wording, at all.

I know that some models output fog fraction diagnostics at 1.5m (or
2m) above the surface, but I don't know if that is in any way
standardized in all models or observed datasets.

I'm not a fog expert, so I hope that these points aren't way off the
mark.

All the best,

David

--
David Hassell
National Centre for Atmospheric Science (NCAS)
E-mail: d.c.hassell at reading.ac.uk