⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] solid precipitation standard name

From: John Graybeal <john.graybeal>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 13:43:13 -0700

lay person/information analyst view:

> does anyone think we should add "solid_phase_precipitation_flux" (replacing snowfall_flux to represent all forms of precipitating ice particles)?

+1 (sorry :->). I would expect snowfall to exclude ice (= hail + sleet, I mean, ice pellets).

> should we add a standard_name "liquid_water_precipitation_flux"?

I would hope that rainfall includes drizzle, intuitively and in most common usage rainfall includes all liquid forms of precipitation

john

On Jul 15, 2013, at 13:36, Karl Taylor <taylor13 at llnl.gov> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> In CMIP5 we requested "snowfall_flux" by which we meant the mass per unit time of precipitation of all forms of water in the solid phase. Thus, "snowfall" could be added to liquid-water precipitation to give total precipitation (standard name.
>
> I'm wondering if using "snowfall_flux" to represent generically all forms of falling ice particles is misleading (or will become misleading when it becomes common for models to distinguish between different forms of ice). I note there is a standard name "stratiform_graupel_flux", which is a particular form of ice.
>
> Before too much new data gets written, does anyone think we should add "solid_phase_precipitation_flux" (replacing snowfall_flux to represent all forms of precipitating ice particles)? We should certainly clarify what "snowfall" means.
>
> I note that there is a standard name "rainfall_rate" and this also needs clarification. Does it include "drizzle" and if not, should we add a standard_name "liquid_water_precipitation_flux"?
>
> Best regards,
> Karl

John Graybeal
Senior Data Manager, Metadata and Semantics

T +1 (408) 675-5545
F +1 (408) 616-1626
skype: graybealski

Marinexplore