⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] solid precipitation standard name

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 13:36:16 -0700

Dear all,

In CMIP5 we requested "snowfall_flux" by which we meant the mass per
unit time of precipitation of all forms of water in the solid phase.
Thus, "snowfall" could be added to liquid-water precipitation to give
total precipitation (standard name.

I'm wondering if using "snowfall_flux" to represent generically all
forms of falling ice particles is misleading (or will become misleading
when it becomes common for models to distinguish between different forms
of ice). I note there is a standard name "stratiform_graupel_flux",
which is a particular form of ice.

Before too much new data gets written, does anyone think we should add
"solid_phase_precipitation_flux" (replacing snowfall_flux to represent
all forms of precipitating ice particles)? We should certainly clarify
what "snowfall" means.

I note that there is a standard name "rainfall_rate" and this also needs
clarification. Does it include "drizzle" and if not, should we add a
standard_name "liquid_water_precipitation_flux"?

Best regards,
Karl