⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] a conceptual question about "area_types"

From: rhorne at excaliburlabs.com <rhorne>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 15:51:15 -0400

Dear Jonathan: Thanks for taking the time to reply. In the case of
GOES-R, the ground system will not know what type of fire it is. Because
our products generally coverage very large areas, it will be common for
many fires to be detected and included in instances of our products. The
imager aboard the spacacraft has several IR channels, and, basically, the
ground processing software looks for "hot" pixels that is on land and where
it is not cloudy. What about rain, smoke, dust, and volcanic ash
area_types ?

Also, in you reply below, you state that area_type could be used as a
dimension of data variables. I could not find anything in the CF standard
that explains this (maybe you are referring to the "where typevar"
discussion in CF standard para. 7.3.3.).

very respectfully,

randy