⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Request for a new standard_name: barometric_altitude

From: John Graybeal <john.graybeal>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 08:43:10 -0700

Sorry my response was offline, an accident; will append below for the record.

I support Martin's rationale for sticking with the original; it will also be more recognizable to many. This may be a good spot for using aliases, one direction or the other, as it seems "barometric altitude" is functionally exactly the same meaning as "air pressure expressed as altitude".

Previously commented offline:

> I may be having a silly moment, can you explain how the second definition matches the second name? I would have assumed altitude_above_ground means how far the airplane is above the terrain -- in this case based on a barometric pressure altitude, and some knowledge of how high the ground is in a given location.
>
> Instead the definition seems to be more like barometric_altitude_based_on_takeoff_pressure.

John

On Jul 6, 2013, at 05:25, "Schultz, Martin" <m.schultz at fz-juelich.de> wrote:

> Dear Jonathan (and John who replied offline),
>
> "* Would it be acceptable and useful to follow some other kinds of standard name and call this air_pressure_expressed_as_altitude?"
>
> Actually, I think not. The goal of this quantity is really to describe altitude, not pressure. This is different from a "mole_fraction..._expressed_as...", because there it is really the same thing with a simple conversion factor. So, I would still prefer "barometric_altitude".
>
> Concerning the second name, I see that we need to define this better. Actually, it doesn't seem as straightforward as I thought... We will take your comments into account when rephrasing the proposal for the second name.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Martin
>
> From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk>
> To: cf-metadata at cgd.ucar.edu
> Subject: [CF-metadata] Request for a new standard_name:
> barometric_altitude
>
> Dear Martin
>
> Obviously these quantities are useful. I have two suggestions for your
> consideration, hoping I have understood the idea.
>
> * Would it be acceptable and useful to follow some other kinds of standard name
> and call this air_pressure_expressed_as_altitude?
>
> * above_ground doesn't seem specific enough to me, because you don't mean the
> local ground, which we would usually call "surface" in standard names (i.e. the
> bottom of the atmosphere). To be more precise, we could use something longer
> such as wrt_surface_at_flight_origin. It refers to a particular time and place.
>
> Best wishes

> Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
> 52425 Juelich
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDir Dr. Karl Eugen Huthmacher
> Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. Achim Bachem (Vorsitzender),
> Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt

John Graybeal
Senior Data Manager, Metadata and Semantics

T +1 (408) 675-5545
F +1 (408) 616-1626
skype: graybealski

Marinexplore