⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fwd: how to represent a non-standard error

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 16:00:38 -0400

I think that these are fairly important QC checks for wind and current
data, and that they deserve to have standard names to make them
more useful. Although the algorithms may differ between instruments,
and may even be proprietary, these variables are often the most useful
way to provide information about the reliability of the geophysical
measurements.

I had asked about the best way to label this parameter for ADCP data
several years ago, but I wasn't able to explain why standard_error wasn't
appropriate (it's a little outside my field).

Could we use a standard name modifier like 'instrument_error',
or even just 'error', to convey the meaning of instrument-provided
error information? That would be much simpler than requesting a
name for each instrument type (although I suppose there may be
only a handful of those).

Thanks - Nan