⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name: land_surface_skin_temperature

From: John Graybeal <john.graybeal>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 07:17:24 -0700

As I understand it, the reason for the introduction of the skin temperature (and other sea surface temperatures) is that originally sea_surface_temperature encompassed everything (in its 100 years of use) from a bucket somewhere in the first 10 meters, to a satellite measuring the first few millimeters. More precise names were needed.

I expect a similar situation applies on land. Even if past practice may only penetrate the service 10 centimeters, that's noticeably different than a satellite measuring a few millimeters. If that's at all true, having the refined term makes sense to me.

John

On Jun 17, 2013, at 05:41, Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear Jonathan and Jim
>
> In my previous email, I was trying to explain why an interface temperature
> is a physical meaningful concept, which Jonathan asked about. This is actually
> an applicable concept in models, as I said, and it is the idea which I (at
> least) had in mind when the name was put in the standard name table. Like CF
> in general, the standard name table was originally created for the purpose of
> model metadata, and was later to extended to observations. This quantity is an
> idealisation, not an observable quantity.
>
> The heat capacity of a layer 12 micrometers thick is so small that I suppose
> there is practically no difference between the skin temperature and the
> interface temperature, on the timescales you're interested in. Is that correct,
> do you think? If so, it seems to me that it would be fine to use the existing
> name of surface_temperature for this quantity. You propose the new name on the
> analogy of the sea_surface_skin_temperature. The same argument would apply to
> that as well. I can't remember the reason why it was thought necessary to make
> a distinction between surface_temperature and sea_surface_skin_temperature,
> though I do recall quite a lot of discussion about it.
>
> It is also fine to introduce land_surface_skin_temperature as well, I would
> say. The data-writer has a choice. They could use surface_temperature if that
> is accurate enough, but if they wish to be more precise about what material
> layer it applies to, the skin temperature names could be used.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Jonathan
>
> 13/06/17 13:20:03 house
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 02:45:28PM -0400, Jonathan Wrotny wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 14:45:28 -0400
>> From: Jonathan Wrotny <jwrotny at aer.com>
>> To: Jim Biard <jim.biard at noaa.gov>
>> CC: "cf-metadata at cgd.ucar.edu List" <cf-metadata at cgd.ucar.edu>
>> Subject: Re: [CF-metadata] new standard name: land_surface_skin_temperature
>>
>> Dear Jim,
>>
>> Thanks for your comments. They all make sense to me and I'm on
>> board with your suggested definition. I'll just wait for others to
>> comment, if needed, then we can converge on a final definition.
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Jonathan
>>
>> On 6/14/2013 2:11 PM, Jim Biard wrote:
>>> Jonathan,
>>>
>>> I still don't believe that the surface temperature concept that
>>> Jonathan Gregory has ever been what people were intending when
>>> they make the surface_temperature standard name, but I'll abide by
>>> whatever folks decide.
>>>
>>> On a different front, I don't think the definition of the standard
>>> name should include statements about technology used (measured by
>>> an infrared radiometer?). The definition should speak only to the
>>> measured quantity, without reference to the way in which you
>>> happen to be measuring it. Likewise, there is no need for the
> [...]

John Graybeal
Senior Data Manager, Metadata and Semantics

T +1 (408) 675-5545
F +1 (408) 616-1626
skype: graybealski

Marinexplore