⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names for CIN, LFC,LCL; update to CAPE

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 13:49:30 +0100

Dear Seth

Thanks for the updated list of names. This all looks logical to me.

I now wonder whether, in the names, wrt_surface would convey the meaning more
obviously than from_the_surface. It's not obvious until you read the definition
why it's "from", I think. I feel that "wrt" would more immediately indicate

As you note
> atmosphere_specific_convective_available_potential_energy
> [update to existing standard_name]
is an existing standard name. The existing definition is not clear, but I
suspect it might be interpreted as the whole-atmos version i.e. wrt surface.
What do you think? In that case, this update would be a redefinition, not a
clarification, and we should avoid redefining existing names. If that is the
case, it could be avoided by adding another phrase to the name for the version
when the parcel does not come from the surface. Then the existing name could
be made an alias of the new "wrt surface" name. What do you think?

Best wishes and thanks

Jonathan

----- Forwarded message from Seth McGinnis <mcginnis at ucar.edu> -----