⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name: land_surface_skin_temperature

From: Jim Biard <jim.biard>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 14:11:41 -0400

Jonathan,

I still don't believe that the surface temperature concept that Jonathan Gregory has ever been what people were intending when they make the surface_temperature standard name, but I'll abide by whatever folks decide.

On a different front, I don't think the definition of the standard name should include statements about technology used (measured by an infrared radiometer?). The definition should speak only to the measured quantity, without reference to the way in which you happen to be measuring it. Likewise, there is no need for the statement regarding variability of the quantity. Also, the surface in this name is not the lower boundary of the atmosphere. It is the upper boundary of the land. An non-volatile object in a hard vacuum has a surface skin temperature.

Given all that, I'd suggest this for your definition:

Standard Name: land_surface_skin_temperature

Definition: The land surface skin temperature is the aggregate temperature of the "skin" of the land surface, which extends vertically approximately 12 micrometers below the land surface.

If people really think it needs to be spelled out even further, add the sentence "The land surface is the upper boundary of the land."

Grace and peace,

Jim

Jim Biard
Research Scholar
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites
Remote Sensing and Applications Division
National Climatic Data Center
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801-5001

jim.biard at noaa.gov
828-271-4900

Follow us on Facebook!