⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names for CIN, LFC,LCL; update to CAPE

From: Jonathan Wrotny <jwrotny>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:40:15 -0400

Dear Seth,

I know that I am replying to late in the game to this e-mail from a few
weeks ago - sorry about this, but I wanted to make one comment regarding
your proposed modification to the definition for CAPE. As you might
remember, I recently proposed some new standard names which are related
to the future GOES-R platform. Another GOES-R output data product will
be CAPE, so I perused your proposed modification to the CAPE definition
to see if it was consistent with the GOES-R product.

The first sentence of your definition says "...calculated by integrating
the positive differences in virtual temperature...". My concern about
using virtual temperature in the definition is that it is too specific
since CAPE is not always calculated using the virtual temperature. For
example, in the GOES-R product, potential temperature differences are
used. The parcel potential temperature is corrected for moisture in the
parcel, but not in the same way as calculating the virtual temperature
of the parcel. I'm thinking it might be good to attempt to generalize
your proposed definition of CAPE. Perhaps you could say that it is
calculated by integrating the temperature difference between the parcel
and environment, where the parcel temperature may be corrected due to
the moisture content of the air parcel (e.g. the virtual temperature).
Using "temperature difference" as opposed to a specific temperature,
e.g. the virtual temperature, would help to generalize the definition.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Wrotny