⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name: land_surface_skin_temperature

From: Jonathan Wrotny <jwrotny>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 11:52:34 -0400

Dear Jonathan Gregory,

I have not yet replied to this e-mail yet from you...thanks for the
information on the meaning of the various surface temperatures.

Yes, the land skin temperature is actually different from the
"surface_temperature" standard name since it corresponds to the skin,
and not the interface, temperature. So, I do believe that an additional
name will need to be added to account for this land analogue to
"sea_surface_skin_temperature." Here is my current proposal:

Standard Name: land_surface_skin_temperature

Definition:The surface called "surface" means the lower boundary of the
atmosphere. The land surface skin temperature is the temperature
measured by an infrared radiometer, but measurements from microwave
radiometers operating at GHz wavelengths also exist. It represents the
aggregate temperature of the skin surface where "skin" means the surface
medium viewed by a sensor to a vertical depth of approximately 12
micrometers.

Measurements of this quantity are subject to a large potential diurnal
cycle which is primarily due to the balance between heating during the
day by solar radiation and continual cooling from terrestrial
(long-wave) radiation emitted by the skin surface.

Canonical Units:K

Sincerely,

Jonathan