⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name for primary productivity of carbon per unit volume

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 20:32:26 +0100

Hi John,

Defining 'production' as 'production per unit volume' or maybe 'mass created per unit volume per unit time' would seem consistent to me. I'll leave to Jonathan to pick it up if I've got it wrong.

I've never seen a terrestrial production profile and understand that terrestrial measurement protocols tend to give direct measurements per unit area, whereas in the oceans we measure per unit volume to generate profiles that are then integrated to give values per unit area. Hence my comment, but as you're happy to be marine-specific then no problem.

I don't agree with Philip - if you look at all existing productivity codes (mostly mole productivities) then you seem to be following a well-established trend..

I also failed to understand Jonathan's comment concerning an alias - spot measurements and depth-integrated measurements are very different quantities.

Cheers, Roy.