⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name for primary production of carbon per unit volume

From: John Graybeal <john.graybeal>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 14:55:34 -0700

As of June 5 this revised name was requested to go with the previously submitted definition:

On Jun 5, 2013, at 11:38, John Graybeal <graybeal at marinexplore.com> wrote:
> So I think we have the replacement name of
> net_primary_production_of_carbon_per_unit_volume_in_sea_water
> pending further thoughts and responses.

There has been some discussion (thank you), but to my knowledge, no outstanding requests for changes since that posting.

In the definition below, I've modified bits of that definition to match the new term (production). Is this request approvable at this point?

Name: net_primary_production_of_carbon_per_unit_volume_in_sea_water
Units: kg m-3 s-1
Definition: Net primary production is the excess of gross primary production (rate of synthesis of biomass per unit volume from inorganic precursors by autotrophs, or "producers", especially by photosynthesising plants using sunlight for energy) over the rate at which they themselves respire some of this biomass (plant_respiration, assuming all producers to be plants). "Production of carbon" refers to the production of biomass expressed as the mass of carbon which it contains.

John

John Graybeal
Senior Data Manager, Metadata and Semantics

Marinexplore
920 Stewart Drive
Sunnyvale, CA