⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] atmosphere stability indices

From: Seth McGinnis <mcginnis>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 15:48:16 -0600

Hi Jonathan (G),

I had thought we needed the finish level for CAPE and CIN, but after
consulting with a colleague, I realize we actually don't need it.

For the CAPE & CIN calculations, you integrate until the parcel hits
equilibrium. I am assured that it will suffice just to mention that in the
definition of the standard_name, and that there's no need to record
the actual location of equilibrium level as an ancillary coordinate.
(It's pretty much always the tropopause, and it's almost never
interesting.)

So I say let's abandon the air_pressure_of_lifted_parcel_at_finish
standard name entirely, and just add a standard_name for the
pressure at the start of lifting.

I'm equally happy with _at_start, _at_origin, or _at_source for that.
If we're worried about being as clear as possible, should we consider
air_pressure_of_lifted_parcel_at_start_of_lifting? It's clunky, but
unlikely to be misinterpreted...

I'll update my proposed names in a separate messages.

Cheers,

--Seth