⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard_name for acoustic travel time from echo sounder

From: Matthias Lankhorst <mlankhorst>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 05:16:25 -0700

Dear CF,

I have oceanographic data from IES instruments (inverted echo sounder) that I
would like to publish via OceanSITES in a CF-compliant form. The data in
question are acoustic travel times from the echo sounding device. This means
the time it took for the acoustic signal to run from the instrument (which
sits on the seafloor) to the sea surface and back to the instrument. These
data are commonly used as a proxy for ocean heat content.

I don't think there is a suitable CF standard_name out there, and ask for your
help in finding/creating one. Which of the following sound good?

acoustic_travel_time
vertical_acoustic_travel_time
roundtrip_acoustic_travel_time_in_sea_water
echo_sounder_acoustic_travel_time

...I could think of a couple more combinations using the words above, but
would like to hear other people's opinions.

The canonical units would obviously be seconds.

I assume the data would need some additional description to denote the
vertical extent of the measurement, such as cell_bounds and
cell_methods='Z:sum'.

Any comments?

Kind regards, Matthias

--