⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-1.6 DSG clarification: time series & lat/lon coordinates

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 15:31:41 -0600

Hi John:

1) The coordinates attribute is not new to DSG, it has been around since
the beginning of CF. This defines the "auxiliary coordinate variables",
that is, coordinate variables that do not follow "lat(lat)" template. I
think it would be good if Grads et al could be upgraded to use them.

2) DSG data is 1 dimensional. The addition of extra dimensions of length
1 seems harmless when you know you can ignore them, but is wrong when
you want dimensions to represent independent coordinates of the
sampling. To see that, ask yourself what the data variables would look
like if the dimension had length 2.

   float humidity(sample) -> float humidity(sample, alt, lat, lon);

   float humidity(sample, 1, 1, 1); // seems ok
   float humidity(sample, 2, 2, 2); // huh??

it looks like a grid, and its not. there are not 2 x 2 x 2 independent
coordinates. point data is not degenerate grid data. it has a different
connectedness between the indices, and its this connectedness that makes
multidimensional arrays much faster than, say, an RDBM, so throw that
away at your peril.

Im interested in hearing what Jonathan et al's data model would say
about this. I can tell you that the CDM/TDS feature collection layer
would break if you added the extraneous dimensions.

John