⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] use of _FillValue vs valid_range, and minimum and maximum

From: Chris Barker - NOAA Federal <chris.barker>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 10:25:21 -0700

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 9:00 AM, John Graybeal
<graybeal at marinemetadata.org> wrote:
> +1 Martin. I am bugged (not the technical term) by the conclusions here, which seem to be: Because people design systems badly, I must constrain my own system to accommodate their failures.
>
> The use cases for storing the summary information with the file are: (A) It's faster to access, which in some circumstances affect a user (or the cost of computer cycles), whether due to large files or lots of files. (B) In some circumstance (I don't have a netCDF file mangler app sitting in hand), it's the only reasonable way to access.

Would it make sense to have a standard (but general) way to mark a
given piece of data as "computed from the data set"

So aggregators, subsetters, etc, would know which data was fragile in
that manner? (and hopefully could re-compute it, or at least remove
it)

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.