⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name: total_totals_index

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 22:39:00 +0100

Dear Jon

> I agree with your assessment, and I like your proposed name. My
> only question remains with the definition. It seems like there
> could be two approaches given the specific nature of the product: 1)
> write the definition as below with hard-wired pressure levels part
> of the definition. Based on my understanding of the product, I have
> never seen any other pressures levels other than 500 and 850 hPa
> used for the index, but I could be wrong. -or- 2) attempt to
> generalize the definition so that it does not mention the specific
> pressure levels. This would help to generalize the definition, but
> may not add that much value since other pressure levels do not
> appear to be commonly used (ever?).

If that is the case, then (1) seems the better choice

> Standard Name: atmosphere_stability_total_totals_index
>
> Definition:
>
> Option 1)The atmosphere_stability_total_totals_index indicates the
> likelihood of severe convection and is often referred to as simply
> the total totals index. The index is derived from the difference in
> air temperature between 850 and 500 hPa (the vertical totals) and
> the difference between the dew point temperature at 850 hPa and the
> air temperature at 500 hPa (the cross totals). The vertical totals
> and cross totals are summed to obtain the index.
You could insert
> often referred to as simply the total totals index
as in your other definition. This bit:
> Air temperature is
> the bulk temperature of the air, not the surface (skin) temperature.
> The term "surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere.
doesn't seem necessary in this case, since "surface" is not mentioned.

> Canonical Units: K
Oh, good. :-)

If we define it specifically now, that does not preclude the later addition of
a more general standard name if required.

Cheers

Jonathan