⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New Standard Names for Satellite Data

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 21:18:15 +0100

Dear Aleksandar

Here are some comments on your standard_name proposals in
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Standard_Names_For_Satellite_Observations#Proposal_.232
in grey i.e. the ones which haven't received comments so far. I have no
specific expertise in this field, so these are generalist comments, but I
suppose that is relevant since standard names serve all disciplines. Please
excuse my ignorance.

A sensor is not necessarily a device which measures radiation. In fact the
only existing standard name containing this word is
temperature_of_sensor_for_oxygen_in_sea_water. Hence, it might be helpful to
add some other word(s) to sensor_band to make it explicit that it is referring
to measurement of radiation. That word is already used in the standard_names
radiation_frequency and radiation_wavelength.

The word "central" does not obviously mean "first moment" to me. There are
existing standard_names with moments mentioned e.g.
sea_surface_wave_mean_period_from_variance_spectral_density_first_frequency_moment
Is this analogous to your use? Are the "central" wavelength, wavenumber and
frequency all equivalent, or are they separate convolutions with the spectral
response function? Do they have to be defined specifically in this way, or
would something more general be adequate
e.g. sensor_band_radiation_wavelength? With such a standard_name, bounds could
also be used to indicate the extent of the band.

Why is senor_zenith_angle distinct from the existing platform_zenith_angle? Can
you see the sensor separately from the platform (satellite)?

When I look up "look angle" in Google, its main meaning appears to be the
elevation angle for seeing a satellite, rather than the angle of observation
from a satellite. I wonder if there is alternative phrase that could be used
for this. Also, what does the line of sight of the platform mean (as distinct
from the line of sight of the sensor)? The opposite of zenith is nadir. Could
that word be used to describe the angle wrt straight down?

What is the use case for the relative angles? It might be helpful to be more
specific if possible.

I have no comments on toa_brightness_temperature_of_standard_scene!

However, I do have a comment on toa_brightness_temperature_bias_at_standard_scene_wrt_intercalibration. I wonder if this could be simpler e.g.
bias_in_toa_brightness_temperature_of_standard_scene. That also has the advantage of being the same as the previous one with a bit added.

Thanks for all these proposals.