⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard_name needed for cloud_phase (an enumeration type)

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 10:59:21 +0100

Dear Randy

There is another way to do it, which makes the files more self-describing and
has been suggested for other similar situations. You could instead define the
standard_name for a new string-valued quantity such as cloud_phase_category,
but store the data in the file in numeric form using flag_values and
flag_meanings. Then you don't have to standardise the actual numbers used.
I suppose that the permitted strings should be part of the definition of the
standard name (instead of defined numerical values).

----- Forwarded message from "rhorne at excaliburlabs.com" <rhorne at excaliburlabs.com> -----