⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Question from NODC about interplay of standard name modifiers, cell_methods, etc.

From: Kenneth S. Casey - NOAA Federal <kenneth.casey>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:26:23 -0400

Hi All?

"I'm on fire, put me out!!!"

That is my appeal to bring the conversation back to my specific question that remains. At this point, I want to do only what the standard says to do. I agree with what seems to be the general mood (though not universal) that clarity is needed and maybe some changes, and I point out that questions like this are precisely why we at NODC decided to come up with our templates and examples. I want to help others in the ocean data world make CF-compliant netCDF? not almost-compliant CF-netCDF. What I personally think about the standard doesn't matter for that purpose, though of course it does matter in discussion forums like this? so, if I can get a clear answer on this remaining practical question it would be great:

== start quote
[snip] Now the third case is where there exists a relevant standard_name modifier, for example, for the standard error of the mean:

 float t_se(time, depth, lat, lon) ;
              t_an:standard_name = "sea_water_temperature standard_error" ; // Use the physical parameter's standard_name plus modifier, following Jonathan's comment
              t_an:long_name = "Standard Error about the Statistical Mean Sea Water Temperature" ; // Expanded long_name following Steve's comment
              t_an:comment = "The standard error about the statistical mean Sea Water Temperature in each grid-square at each standard depth level" ; // just highlighting changes compared to our existing draft
              t_an:cell_methods = "area: mean depth: mean" ; // Is this correct?? Since we have a standard name modifier, and no cell_methods string for standard error?
              t_an:grid_mapping = "crs" ;
              t_an:units = "degrees_celsius" ;
              t_an:FillValue = 9.96921e+36f

So, my question arises in this last example, where a standard name modifier exists. I guess this is the part I don't understand?. is there no reference to cell_methods for the time dimension in the standard error variable t_se?
== end quote

If I can get the answer to the above, Tim and I can move on with this data set.

Now, when it comes to my ability to explain the standard and those choices to our data producers, I would like an answer to the other question that I had posted:

==
  ? why is there a standard_error standard_name modifier but not one for standard_deviation?
==

I still don't really get that. If the answer is simply "for unknown historical reasons" that is ok? if it has to do with the statistical nature driving the placement of a term in cell_methods or in standard_name_modifier that is ok to? just want to know :-)

  I have learned through all of this to think about standard_name differently? though I was aware of the modifiers and of cell_methods, I do believe I was stuck on the idea that standard_name alone (possibly with a modifier) defined the content of the variable? I guess cell_methods seemed to me like a second-order thing, to help really understand what was in those cells.

Thanks,
Ken