⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Question from NODC about interplay of standard name modifiers, cell_methods, etc.

From: Kenneth S. Casey - NOAA Federal <kenneth.casey>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:08:06 -0400

Nan - your statement below has me wondering about what a statistician would say. Would they say: A "mean" is still a statistical concept, and can not be measured. It can only be computed, statistically, as sum/N. In that sense, it is not really any different that standard deviation? the mean is where the distribution is centered, and the standard deviation is the width of that distribution. Neither is a discrete measurement and only make sense as part of a distribution. But I am not a statistician so I really do wonder what one would say?.

-Ken

On Mar 27, 2013, at 4:23 PM, Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith at whoi.edu> wrote:

> I don't think the standard deviation of the temperature of sea water is really a
> geophysical property; it's a mathematical concept, while a temperature value
> represented as a mean is still a temperature.

Kenneth S. Casey, Ph.D.
Technical Director
NOAA National Oceanographic Data Center
1315 East-West Highway