⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name: datetime_iso8601

From: John Graybeal <jgraybeal>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 09:57:15 -0700

Thanks Aleksander for pushing in this direction.

This proposal is a very helpful way forward, both for capturing data coming from sensors in an ISO8601 format (a steadily increasing number), and for letting some of us add information in a human-readable format for direct human use. Which, alas, is all many of the existing tools can do, present the format that exists.

And I agree that as it stands it is not a fundamental change of the convention, as you are requesting it. While I wish the coordinate variables could be expressed this way, we likely won't agree on that any time soon.

I would rather not limit the subset of ISO8601 datetime formats, though. There are libraries that support all ISO8601 date-time formats; it is designed to be uniquely recognizable no matter which format is chosen; and trying to define which formats we will and won't support is time not well spent.

On the other hand, we should limit it to only the formats expressing an instance of date/time (meaning single date or date + time), and exclude the range or duration notations from this particular standard name. (Because those are inherently different quantities in different units.) Can add those as needed later.

John