⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] how to specify time dimension for monthly averages

From: Andreas Hilboll <lists>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:15:02 +0100

> I'm not sure if you noticed my post to the CF mailing list last week about the tropospheric/stratospheric trace gas standard names you proposed back in December: http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2013/056207.html. There is just one question remaining to be resolved about the units - whether you are happy with the consensus view that we should use mol m-2? I am hoping to make an update to the standard name table later this week and it would be great if we are in a position to include your names. Please could you let me know via the mailing list how you would like to proceed?

Hi Alison,

thanks for the reminder; somehow this mail didn't get through to me.

In atmospheric trace gas remote sensing, nobody to my knowledge uses the
unit "mol m-2".

General question: Is it "allowed" to use a different unit in the
variables metadata than is specified in the standard name table? I.e. if
the new standard name table contains "mol m-2" as unit, would it still
be "legal" for me to use "molecules cm-2" in the file itself?

Best regards, Andreas.