⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Usage of the 'Conventions' attribute (Nan Galbraith)

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 08:11:09 +0000

Dear Jonathan and Martin,

What I was trying to do here was legitimise an already established practice in at least two communities in the observational oceanographic domain with thousands of files in existence with the non-standard usage of the Conventions attribute. I also carried the practice over into the specification of the SeaDataNet NetCDF generation tool. I can see absolutely no benefit in pushing through a new attribute for this purpose and so will circumvent the compliance issue for SeaDataNet by moving the variable attribute into our namespace (i.e. calling it SDN_Conventions). This leaves Derrick's glider community in the lurch, but I suggest they either follow us or follow whatever solution the European GROOM glider community adopts.

Martin's comments on namespace highlight a concern I identified whilst doing the research for the SeaDataNet specification. Several communities have added large numbers of both global and variable attributes with no indication of namespace. Not only does this make it difficult to tease out what is CF and what is a community extension, but it creates an accident in waiting. What happens if CF creates a new attribute with a name already in community usage? In my view it's too late to introduce a CF namespace and prefer the idea that for a CF-compliant file CF should be the default namespace, with communities taking responsibility for their extensions. This is what I've done for SeaDataNet.

Cheers, Roy.