⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Usage of the 'Conventions' attribute

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 12:23:33 +1100

Dear Roy

I understand the need but I tend to think this would not be an appropriate
use of the Conventions attribute, which is a general netCDF attribute, not
specific to CF, and refers to files. I do appreciate the logical similarity
but I would have thought it better to define something more specific in CF
for this purpose.

If this is a need which several users have and is required for exchange of
data, then it is reasonable to propose to add something to CF. Since it's
an extra piece of information referring to flags, maybe an attribute such as
flag_convention_name would work? We could make it a requirement that this
attribute was allowed only if the variable had flag_meanings as well, to
prevent its being used as a substitute for spelling out what the flags mean
(as is necessary for the file to be self-describing).

----- Forwarded message from "Lowry, Roy K." <rkl at bodc.ac.uk> -----