⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New Standard Names for Satellite Data

From: Bruno PIGUET <bruno.piguet>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 18:17:50 +0100

Le 14/01/2013 17:21, Aleksandar Jelenak - NOAA Affiliate a ?crit :
> Dear Bruno,
>
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Bruno PIGUET <bruno.piguet at meteo.fr> wrote:
>> I have one remark about "platform_azimuth_angle"
>>
>> I like this name and it correspond to usual navigation definition (as
>> far as I can tell from my experience with airborne and shipborne
>> measurements), but...
>>
>> There is already a standard name called "platform_orientation", whose
>> definition seems to be the same, even if less precisely-worded : The
>> platform orientation is the direction in which the "front" or
>> longitudinal axis of the platform is pointing (not necessarily the same
>> as the direction in which it is travelling, called platform_course).
>
> platform_orientation is not the same as platform_azimuth_angle. This
> azimuth angle is related to measurements made by an instrument mounted
> on a platform (satellite, ship, airplane, truck, etc.).

   Sorry for looking dumb, but I don't see the difference (except that
"platform_orientation" is not precisely defined).

    I'm currently producing CF files containing airborne measurements,
and the parameter which is usually called "heading", which is in fact
exactly defined as "platform_azimuth_angle", is qualified with
"standard_name = platform orientation".

Bruno.
bruno.piguet at meteo.fr
?quipe GMEI/TRAMM
CNRM-GAME : UMR Meteo-France/CNRS n?3589