⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for new standard_names for biomass burning emissions

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 20:15:12 +0000

Hi Jonathan, Martin, Angelika,

These look like good additions to me :-).

Jonathan: we already have std_names without a fixed ratio, although it isn't explicit in the descriptions (eg, atmosphere_mass_content_of_anthropogenic_nmvoc_expressed_as_carbon). Indeed, this is one of the main reasons people use the 'expressed_as' concept.

I did note the tiniest inconsistency for the future. As proposed, NOx_expressed_as_NO is consistent with the current description "The phrase 'expressed_as' is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A."

However, in the future someone may want NOx_expressed_as_NO2, and NO2 is not entirely contained in NOx. To put it another way, the mass of the emission expressed as NO2 is larger than the mass of the actual NOx emission.

We can either try to tweak the definition now, or wait and until someone proposes the case above. In practice, NOx_expressed_as_NO is going to be much more common.

Best wishes,

     Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.