⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for new standard_names for biomass burning emissions

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 14:01:18 +0000

Dear Martin and Angelika

Since these names conform to existing patterns, I should think they are fine
(not being an expert - but you are!).

> Note, that the definition of emissions for nitrogen_dioxide is tricky: most inventories only give emissions for "NOx" (the sum of NO and NO2), and sometimes it is not even clear to an uninformed user if these are "expressed_as" nitrogen_monoxide or nitrogen_dioxide, or even nitrogen. The ratio of emitted NO to emitted NO2 varies by source category, and this is now sometimes taken into account in models.
>
> "nox_expressed_as_nitrogen_monoxide":
>
> "NOx" means a combination of two radical species containing nitrogen and oxygen: NO+NO2. The phrase 'expressed_as' is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A.

I suppose that when A_expressed_as_B has been used up to now, A and B have
been in a fixed ratio. That's not the case there. However, I think I understand
the idea - does it mean you would express N as though it were all NO? That is
assuming a fixed but fictitious ratio.