⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for standard names: tropospheric trace gas column amounts

From: Sander Niemeijer <niemeijer>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 17:07:06 +0100

I think we should be careful with this. There is a big (order of magnitude) difference between 'mole' and 'molecule'.

I am rather new to this mailing list, so I am not sure what the impact of this difference between mole and molecules would mean in terms of naming the variables.

In the atmospheric community the standard is indeed to use 'molecules / cm^2' and not 'mole / cm^2', so IMO using the term 'mole' in the standard name would be quite confusing.

In any case I am also quite interested to know what the proper standard names for these quantities should be.

Also note that udunits does not support 'molecules'. In one of our projects we are currently using the following custom udunits definition to support this:

    <unit>
        <def>mol/6.02214179e23</def>
        <name>
            <singular>molecule</singular>