⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Cell methods for any combinations of dimensions

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 08:01:26 +0000

Dear Bangyou

Yes, CF has conventions for this. See Section 7.3 on "Cell methods". However,
I'm sorry to say I don't understand your example - I must have misunderstood
something elementary. For instance, if you average over two of the dimensions,
such as sites and sowing, won't there be 3*3=9 values, not 54? Such an average
would be stored in CF as

  dimensions:
     meansites = 1;
     meansowing = 1;
     water = 3;
     genotype = 3;
  float meanyield(meansites, meansowing, water, genotype);
     meanyield:cell_methods="meansites: mean meansowing: mean";

However this does not indicate what the meansites and meansowing axes are.
They should describe themselves somehow e.g.

  float meansites(meansites);
    meansites:long_name="site";