⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] mixed Julian-Gregorian calendar

From: Steve Hankin <steven.c.hankin>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 15:03:00 -0800

On 12/17/2012 10:22 AM, Jonathan Gregory wrote:
> Dear Steve
>
> This isn't the central issue, but I wonder if I have missed your point. I
> agree that there is a gap in the legal dates in the real-world mixed Julian-
> Gregorian calendar, but this is just an inconvenient problem of translation,
> isn't it? There is no discontinuity in real-world time!

Hi Jonathan,

We are arguably descending into a Glass Bead Game of standards, and I
think we should strive to reach closure quickly. (N.B. backwards
compatibility notwithstanding, because that *is* a vital issue.) I'll
try to head towards closure along two paths:

 1. path 1: Why do we create standards?
    It is to solve practical problems -- tools for more effective use of
    computing power and improved interoperability. Every design choice
    in standards ought to be seen as a compromise, weighing benefits to
    users against degradation of the standard through accreted
    complexity and implementation difficulty. The question before us --
    whether to actively support a mixed Gregorian-Julian calendar --
    seems exceptionally clear cut: we have _no known users_ and we are
    debating a nasty, ugly encoding. On a cost-benefit basis the mixed
    Julian-Gregorian calendar should be scheduled for immediate death!
    (If we were to identify one or two obscure users that would not
    change the conclusion.)
 2. path 2: Is mixed Julian-Gregorian a real "calendar"?
    No. It is not. It is a narrative -- a description of the history
    of evolving methods of recording dates. Envision a method of
    measuring distance that consisted of using furlongs for lengths up
    to 20 furlongs but for lengths greater than this convert to meters
    and subtract 11. You wouldn't want to adopt that as a scientific
    measure, even it were in common usage among obscure members of (say)
    the horse racing community.

> 1 days since 1582-10-14 = 0 days since 1582-10-25
>
> because in the real-world calendar 14 Oct 1582 is followed by 25 Oct 1582.
> If you code a time coordinate in "days since 1582-10-1" as 0, 1, 2, 3, ... 22
> it should be translated into dates of 1582-10-1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 25, ..., 31.
> _This is what really happened._ How could we_stamp it out_?
This is not an adequate description of "what really happened". What
really happened is that he transition from Julian to Gregorian occurred
in other countries on different dates (as you point out, yourself, in
your next paragraph.) The deeper you look into this so-called calendar
the less computable it becomes.

I am not proposing that we "stamp it out". We also need not "stamp out"
furlongs as a measure of distance. What we need do is only to liberate
CF from it. (Please.)

> I note that cal(1) has the date change in Sep 1752, when it happened in England
I rest my case. Great grand daddy Unix disagrees with CF and udunits.
We should not risk enraging our own ancestors.

     - Steve