⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] mixed Julian-Gregorian calendar

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 18:22:34 +0000

Dear Steve

This isn't the central issue, but I wonder if I have missed your point. I
agree that there is a gap in the legal dates in the real-world mixed Julian-
Gregorian calendar, but this is just an inconvenient problem of translation,
isn't it? There is no discontinuity in real-world time!

1 days since 1582-10-14 = 0 days since 1582-10-25

because in the real-world calendar 14 Oct 1582 is followed by 25 Oct 1582.
If you code a time coordinate in "days since 1582-10-1" as 0, 1, 2, 3, ... 22
it should be translated into dates of 1582-10-1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 25, ..., 31.
This is what really happened. How could we stamp it out?

I note that cal(1) has the date change in Sep 1752, when it happened in England

$ cal 9 1752
   September 1752
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
       1 2 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

but anyone who works with the dates of real historical events should be aware
of the need to put them into the same calendar.

Cheers

Jonathan

----- Forwarded message from Steve Hankin <steven.c.hankin at noaa.gov> -----

----- End forwarded message -----