⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] calendar-based units of time

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 17:51:58 +0000

Dear John

> I have prototyped similar functionality in the CDM, documented here:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/CDM/CalendarDateTime.html

Thanks for this. I recall the earlier discussion and I think what you have
implemented would be a good extension to CF, namely

* Optional prefix "calendar" to the time-units means the corresponding
component of time is manipulated. You show only years and months. Do you
also accept the unproblematic units of days, hours, minutes and seconds
with "calendar" prefixed? Do you allow the SI prefixes to these units?

* With calendar, only integer numbers of units are allowed. Are negative
numbers allowed?

* Invalid dates caused by adding months and years are decremented in whole
days until a valid date is reached.